Your Free Flava My Plate Recipe!
OUR LOADED FARRO SALAD
Courtesy of Nicholas Loudermilk's Cooking Class w/Herban-Eats!
With over 40,000 varieties of cultivated rice, leaning toward whole grains was an easy decision. Packed with fiber, nutrients and antioxidants, whole grains and ancient grains are health-wealth champions. Originating in the fertile crescent and found in the tomb of Egyptian Pharaohs, farro is a nutrient-dense, emmer or einkorn wheat variety grain that packs twice the protein punch of brown rice and will satisfy even the most picky eaters!
-4 cups of cooked farro (cook per package directions)
-1–12 oz package or ¾ cup meatless crumbles (optional)
-1 cup sun dried tomatoes, julienned (no oil)
-1 cup cleaned, chopped leeks
-¼ cup Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
-¾ tsp smoked paprika
-¾ tsp garlic powder
-½ tsp black or white pepper
-½ tsp kosher salt (optional)
-2 tbsp olive oil (or water)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare your baking pan with parchment paper or
2. Place prepared leeks in a bowl and season with ½ tsp olive oil (or 1 tbsp water if
substituting), ¼ tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp garlic powder and ¼ tsp black pepper,
toss to evenly distribute spices and spread evenly across the baking pan and
place on middle rack for 10 minutes then remove and set aside.
3. Place your nonstick pan over medium–high heat and add a teaspoon of olive oil
(or 2 tbsp water if substituting) then crumble in your crumbles. Break the mixture
apart with your spatula or wooden spoon and cook for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the remaining garlic powder, salt, smoked paprika and pepper to the
crumbles pan, stir and continue cooking for another 3 minutes to render a crispier
and browner appearance to the crumbles.
5. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and combine well with your crumbles. Make sure the
tomatoes are getting some direct heat from the pan (if the pan is dry you may want
to add a tbsp of water) cook about 3 minutes then set aside.
6. In your large serving bowl with the farro, add leeks, parsley, sun dried tomatoes
and crumble mix and toss and fold to incorporate. Add your fresh herbs, an
optional 1 tsp of olive oil then re-toss and serve.